Welcome:

The Bucks County Speedsters is a group of runners

that meets
twice a week to work on our speed,

strength, stamina, and
overall performance. Our goal

is to improve runners of all
levels. We encourage

anyone interested in running to come
out to one of

our workouts and see for yourself that in our


community everyone is welcomed and with our

guidance and
your hard work, together we will aspire

to make you
faster. We hope that you will lace up

your running
sneakers and meet up with us someday

soon.



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"


-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, August 14, 2011

TRACK MEET RECAP!

I was introduced to running by joining the Track Team when I was in 7th grade; I instantly fell in love with the sport.  I only mention this because ever since I joined the Road Runners in 2005 I’ve heard many of the members running stories and most start the same way, “I started running because I was overweight, or because I have this relative that asked me to run with them at this local 5k.” I very rarely heard the story start the way mine did.  I immediately thought of the idea to put together a Track meet.  It took many years for me to put everything in place, but once I did with the help of the BCRR members and officers and of course the participating Speedsters we had instant success.
             
           The weather was splendid for the first ever BCRR Blue & Orange Track & Field Day.  We had close to 40 participants that ran in the typical running events of a track meet aside from the hurdles, the distance medley, and the 2 mile.  We replaced the field events with Field day type events: Dizzy Izzy which was hilarious to watch, a water balloon toss, a bean bag toss, and the Wet Pants Relay!  There were many close races with many surprises.  In the Open Mile Pete Lederer and Chris Mortensen put together the most entertaining race of the day in my opinion, both running neck and neck for 4 laps and coming down the final stretch just as close finishing 5:01 and 5:02 respectively.  The Open 400 had an exciting finish with Tim Damiani and one of the sleeper sprinters of the day Greg Zesinger running to the wire.  Greg started the day shocking the club by running neck and neck with me in the Open 100, Greg really gave me a run for my money.  Another super sleeper sprinter was Debbie Burns who burned up the Open 100.  I’m sure there were other unsung heroes throughout the day, but I couldn’t be everywhere all the time.  In the end all I heard was positive feedback from the volunteers and participants. Leading me to believe we will bring this event back next year, so when you’re circling your summer races on the calendar you might want to consider keeping Saturday August 14th open.
             
         So, to everyone that helped make yesterday a success by participating in some way I'm glad you enjoyed yourself I know I did and everything that I envisioned this event being it became, lots of laughs, excitement, entertainment, and straight out fun.  Here’s to next year.

CT

No comments:

Post a Comment