Welcome:

The Bucks County Speedsters is a group of runners

that meets
twice a week to work on our speed,

strength, stamina, and
overall performance. Our goal

is to improve runners of all
levels. We encourage

anyone interested in running to come
out to one of

our workouts and see for yourself that in our


community everyone is welcomed and with our

guidance and
your hard work, together we will aspire

to make you
faster. We hope that you will lace up

your running
sneakers and meet up with us someday

soon.



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"


-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Speedsters Back At It This Week!



          Preparations for the 2012 Speedster Season has been hectic to put it mildly.  Balancing is one of my better skills, but it’s really been put to the test these past few months.  As most of you know I went back to school full time in January and that’s been a rude awakening.  I’m very happy with my decision and not only will my future benefit from this decision, but my running too.  I can already tell that my body is beginning to feel my proper age of 32 not 62.  Being a FedEx guy for the past 8 years has taken a toll on my body.  Climbing in and out of a box truck with some really heavy packages five days a week beat me to hell.  Down grading to a part-time route has me delivering 8 stops a day instead of 80 which allows for more time to train, when the studying doesn’t get in the way.  In any case with this life style transition taking place and still taking some getting used to, I was thrown another curve ball.  When I was told that we would have to pay $100 a night for continual use of the track at Council Rock South and that every track that I or one of many Speedsters looked into would not work for us or allow us to use their track.  We were turned down by School District after School District. 
           
           Then I received a phone call from the 100 meter female champion of the Speedster Track meet from a year ago.  Debbie Burns called me like many of you did asking if she should look into using the track at New Hope Solebury.  I told her yes even though it’s a good 25 minutes from my house.  I honestly was hoping one of the closer schools would accommodate us.  I gave the go ahead to Debbie to look into it as a last resort plan.  Well, the last resort plan is going to become our home for the first two months of the program, and most likely the entire season.  Because of this location I expect a huge drop in the attendance numbers, but I hope I am proven wrong.  The New Hope Track is very nice and offers us everything we need to have successful workouts.  So please don’t let the distance of the location discourage you.  
         
            In addition to the once a week Speed workout’s there will be a Hill workout.  These workouts will be run the same way as the Speed workouts including attendance being taken which will be used to keep track of points for Blue and Orange team members.  The sign-ups for the teams will take place in May.  This too will be taking on some changes, with the biggest change being the elimination of a summer race schedule.  A lot of the races on last year’s schedule are in limbo, not to mention the controversy this caused with some race directors.  I have decided to base the points solely on attendance this season.  I have also taken the liberty of creating a calendar for the month of April that is posted on this Blog page for your benefit.  I’m hoping this tool will help you keep the Speedster schedule straight.

         I would like to thank Debbie, Pete, Tim, Jimbo, Dave, and everyone else that helped look into the different tracks in the area.
       
         So, just in case you fell asleep reading today’s Blog we will be meeting for the first official Speedster Workout of the season this Tuesday which will be a Hill workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment