Welcome:

The Bucks County Speedsters is a group of runners

that meets
twice a week to work on our speed,

strength, stamina, and
overall performance. Our goal

is to improve runners of all
levels. We encourage

anyone interested in running to come
out to one of

our workouts and see for yourself that in our


community everyone is welcomed and with our

guidance and
your hard work, together we will aspire

to make you
faster. We hope that you will lace up

your running
sneakers and meet up with us someday

soon.



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"


-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, February 26, 2012

19 mile weekend


According to plan doesn’t always work, so be able to flip flop your training days.  The marathon plan that I have laid out has Saturday’s being easy minimum mileage type days and Sunday’s as the long run day of the week.  Well, the plan was to do 6 miles easy on the trails of Washington Crossing and 13 miles long on Sunday at Tyler.  I had to flip flop the plan when the trail run was going to Bald Pate to run some incredible trails.  Chris Mortensen took us on some trails that were put together by rock formations (pictured) and past some maple tree lines, not to mention the usual mud and muck, and the occasional stream crossing.  When a training run like this presents itself you have to take full advantage of it.

 I don’t ever allow myself to become a slave to my training, meaning I don’t allow it to dictate when and how far I will go.  I agree that a plan needs to be in place to have a successful marathon, but don’t let the plan own you.  Allow yourself to be flexible and tell yourself that you’re still putting in the miles and the effort just not always in the order it was drawn up.  I’m glad I took advantage of the Bald Pate run on Saturday.  I got the chance to run trails I had not run before, I got to witness some incredible views, and I even got to talk about “The Walking Dead” with John Burrows (great show by the way if you like Zombies).  I’m witnessing more and more runners that are running by “the book” and I warn you now that if you continue to do that you’re going to end up burned-out or bored.  Tomorrow starts week 2 and as was last week Monday’s a Rest Day!  I’m back at it on Tuesday with a speed workout.

Till we run into each other again…

Oh and in case you’re wondering week 1: 36 total miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment