Welcome:

The Bucks County Speedsters is a group of runners

that meets
twice a week to work on our speed,

strength, stamina, and
overall performance. Our goal

is to improve runners of all
levels. We encourage

anyone interested in running to come
out to one of

our workouts and see for yourself that in our


community everyone is welcomed and with our

guidance and
your hard work, together we will aspire

to make you
faster. We hope that you will lace up

your running
sneakers and meet up with us someday

soon.



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"


-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Next 30 Years...



Tim McGraw released a song entitled “My Next Thirty Years” back in 2000.  The song as you can image is about what a guy did during his first thirty years of living and what he has planned for the next thirty going forward.  My first thirty had its ups and downs, good times and bad, some wins some losses, but I tend not to stare into the rearview of my past, occasionally I’ll check it to remind myself how I got to where I am today.  We can’t dwell on the past, but we can learn from it.  So, with my life back on the rails I’m looking forward to my next thirty years.

This isn’t one of those soul searching blog post, actually this is changing of the guard type stuff.  When I was at the impressionable age of eight I had Randall Cunningham posters on my bedroom walls along with pictures of Eric Allen.  I loved the game of football.  I played all the time and I watched just as much as I played.  I got to see Randall scramble like crazy and even punt for ninety yards.  I found him to be an incredibly talented athlete.  But, all that changed when I came out of a Flyers game.

My brother took me to my first Flyers game in 1989.  When we got back to his Jeep it had been vandalized by Eagles fans.  They keyed the side of the Jeep, tore off his Steelers license plate, and wrote, “Fly Eagles Fly” on the pavement.  I guess it could have been worse; they could have slashed the tires and spray painted Eagles onto the Jeep.  I had no clue that my fellow Eagles fans were so screwed up. 

I was only nine when this episode happened, but it was enough to outrage me and force me to find a new team to follow.  I loved watching a 5’10, 190 lb. running back for Florida play the game I loved.  I can remember being mesmerized by the twenty-two on his back flowing almost untouched with every carry of the football.  I’ve always respected and adored the running back position.  I told myself that my new team would be the team that Emmitt Smith went to, unknowing at the time that he would get drafted to the hated Dallas Cowboys, making me enemy number one.

I don’t think it would have been all that bad had the Cowboys not won those three Super Bowls in ’93,’94, and 1996.  Before that 1993 season the Cowboys were not that great, and I was still young and no one was paying me any mind.  But, as I got older living in the outskirts of Philadelphia, it was getting harder to be a Dallas Cowboys fan.  Not because of the Eagles team, because I wasn’t really a fan of the quarterback (Mcnabb) or the coach (Andy Reid), but because of the fans again giving me crap.  As a hardcore Phillies and Sixers fan I could understand the importance of loyalty toward the home teams.  You gotta live and die with your team. 


With the changing of the guard here at home with the Eagles team.  First, with the new more fan friendly Lincoln Financial Field being built.  Second, the hiring of the new coach Chip Kelly and hopefully the end of the Michael Vick era taking place at some point during this season.  Lastly, with me all grown up I am announcing my return to the Philadelphia Eagles Nest after twenty-five years.  Emmitt Smith will forever be my favorite running back and I still like both Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware.  So, I’m an Eagles fan again for the next thirty years that or I encounter another bad episode with personal property and an unhappy Eagles fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment