Welcome:

The Bucks County Speedsters is a group of runners

that meets
twice a week to work on our speed,

strength, stamina, and
overall performance. Our goal

is to improve runners of all
levels. We encourage

anyone interested in running to come
out to one of

our workouts and see for yourself that in our


community everyone is welcomed and with our

guidance and
your hard work, together we will aspire

to make you
faster. We hope that you will lace up

your running
sneakers and meet up with us someday

soon.



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"


-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Trails vs Treadmill (Allyson's Perspective)


If you know Allyson then your surely aware of her fear of the outdoors, ok maybe that's a tad extremem but is it...  See, she has this love affair with the treadmill at the gym and when winter settles in around here that's where you will find her.  When the temperatures warm up she returns to the outdoors, but never to the trails.  That was until Harris and I unknowingly sold her on the great course we picked out for the upcoming Hot Diggity Doy Labor Day 10k Trail Race.   The rest of this post is in her words, take a look:  



Chris decided early last week to take another trip to Mercer County Park and run the Hot Diggity Dog course on Memorial Day, (for anyone that isn’t familiar with Mercer County Park, it’s a beautiful huge park in Mercer County NJ, less than a half hour from Newtown).  Chris and Harris ran the course several weeks ago and told me that the trails are in great condition.  Knowing this, I said I would join, which shocked him because the course is 99% trails.  This surprised him because, as most of you that know me know that, I am clumsy, hate the cold and run a lot on the treadmill (or the dreadmill as many call it).  I don’t know if it’s from all the years staring at the black line at the bottom of the pool, but I can zone out on the treadmill and have been known to do up to 2hours. 
So back to our trip to Mercer County, I got up early to swim first and was told I better be home by 815 (I also tend to be late on occasions).  Meeting us at the park was Tim and Matt Hastings decided last minute to join.  I got home with plenty of time to spare and we were on our way.
We arrived at the park, which was already buzzing with people setting up for bbqs, and Chris said he hopes he remembers the course.  Our run started off nice and easy and I enjoyed running somewhere different and not on the treadmill.  We all said how clear the trails are, you can tell that they are frequently used, just some roots along the way.  The course is completely flat with one downhill thrown in, and there are many points you run along the lake.   
Chris surprised us by remembering the course very well and we ended up with about 6.5miles.  Matt and Tim both agreed how much they enjoyed the course, and then Chris turned to me and asked how I liked it.  Much to his surprise, I said how much I liked it too!  For anyone that is worried about registering for the Labor Day Hot Diggity Dog race because it’s a trail run, trust me, don’t be.  I am one of the clumsiest people and felt very comfortable on this course.  Race registration should be up soon, so I encourage everyone to do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment